Welcome to OSHEC :
The Odisha State Higher Education Council was set up by an act of the Odisha Legislative assembly in the year 2017. The council is headed by the Honorable Minister Higher education, Government of Odisha and is functioning with 15 members appointed as per the act. Its main mandate is to develop policies, educational reform based schemes and advise the State Government in relation to achieving excellence and inclusiveness in our entire higher education process as well as the student outcomes.
The Council is an advisory body to the Government of Odisha in the area of higher education. It also takes up coordinating role with state universities for novel higher educational reform initiatives and depending on the need, the council also initiates and executes state specific quality initiatives. OSHEC has been bringing together State Vice Chancellors and other eminent academicians on one platform to scale shared challenges and evolve common innovative solutions in an unanimous manner.
Functions and Responsibilities:
- Prepare the State Higher Education Plan, Annual Plan and Budget Plan [Para 9 (i) (a) of the Act].
- Evaluate and monitor State Higher Education Institutions on the basis of norms and key performance index (KPI) developed under Rastriya Uchchatar Siksha Abhiyan (RUSA) and the Council may, for its own use, develop additional norms as it may think fit [Para 9 (ii) (b) of the Act].
- Specify norms and mechanisms to measure the productivity of research programmes funded by the Council [Para 9 (ii) (f) of the Act].
- Specify norms and mechanisms to enhance the quality of faculty [Para 9 (iii) (a) of the Act].
- Specify norms and mechanisms to enhance the quality of examination [Para 9 (iii) (b) of the Act].
- Specify norms and mechanisms to enhance the quality of curriculum [Para 9 (iii) (g) of the Act].
- Specify requirements of academic quality for the award of any degree or diploma in any field of higher education and research [Para 9 (iii) (h) of the Act].
- Specify norms of academic quality for accreditation and benchmarking of higher education institution [Para 9 (iii) (i) of the Act].
- Specify norms of academic quality for a University to affiliate colleges [Para 9 (iii) (k) of the Act].
- Specify norms and mechanisms for transparent, efficient and accountable governance in Universities, Colleges and other higher educational Institutions [Para 9 (iii) (n) of the Act].